
Experience driving the trains that were actually running at the Kuriden Museum! [Miyagi Prefecture]
table of contents
- 1 Hosokura Mine has grown into one of Japan's leading lead and zinc mines.
- 2 The rise and fall of the Hosokura Mine will determine the fate of Kuriden.
- 3 ``Kurihara Denen Railway Park'' was created to preserve the remnants of the Kurihara Denen Railway.
- 4 Kurihara Denen Railway Park Preserved Vehicle
- 5 "Hosokura Mine Park" where Kuriden's railway cars are also preserved
Kuriden Museum (Kurihara Denen Railway Park) is a railway theme park located in Kurihara City, Miyagi Prefecture, which has been opened to the public by the former Kurihara Denen Railway, and has been stored and opened to the public.
The park is built into the former Wakayagi Station and the rail depot, and offers driving experiences and attractions such as rail bikes, making it popular not only with railway fans but also with a wide range of generations.

The Kurihara Denen Railway is a third-sector railway that connected Ishikoshi Station, the connection station to Ishikoshi Station (Ishikoshieki/Tome City, Miyagi Prefecture) and Hosokura Mine Parkmae Station (Kurihara City, Miyagi Prefecture), and was abolished in 2007 (Heisei 19).
The Kurihara National Railway has a long history, and in 1921 (Taisho 10), the Kurihara Railway line was opened from Ishigoshi Station to Sawabe (Kannari, Kurihara City), along National Route 4, on the Kurihara Railway.
Later, it was extended to Iwagasaki (Iwagasaki/Kurikoma Iwagasaki, Kurihara City) in 1922 (Taisho 11), and in 1942 (Showa 17), it was extended to Hosokura Mine (Housokura Kozan/Uguisuzawa, Kurihara City) and the entire line was opened.
Hosokura Mine has grown into one of Japan's leading lead and zinc mines.
The Hosokura Mine is located at the foot of Mt. Kurikoma, and is a mine that was discovered around the 9th century, and produced silver, lead, zinc and other substances.
During the Edo period, it was run directly by the Sendai Domain (Date Domain).
After the Meiji period, several managers continued mining, and from 1934, Mitsubishi Metal Mining (now Mitsubishi Materials) acquired management rights, and production increased due to special demands such as World War II, leading to lead production in Japan at the second place in Japan and third place in zinc.
The Kurihara Tramway extended its route to the Hosokura Mine in order to transport the products from the Hosokura Mine, and it developed greatly, and in the 1950s, it was electrified and the name changed to the Kurihara Electric Railway.
The Hosokura Mine reached its peak in the 1950s and 1960s, but then the world recession caused by the oil crisis caused the price of zinc and other materials to plummet, putting pressure on mine management, and the mine was closed in 1987.
The rise and fall of the Hosokura Mine will determine the fate of Kuriden.
Kurihara Electric Railway was also seriously affected by the closure of the Hosokura Mine, and cargo handling was suspended.Coupled with the decline in the mining population, the business situation continued to deteriorate, and the company considered abolishing the line. However, at that time, municipalities along the line (at the time) and bus companies invested, and it was decided to continue as a third sector railway.
In 1995 (Heisei 7), train service was discontinued due to aging electrification equipment, etc., and service was changed to diesel-powered vehicles. Along with this, the company name was changed to "Kurihara Denen Tetsudo". Kurihara Denen Tetsudo's business conditions continued to fail to improve, and subsidies from the prefecture were discontinued, so it was finally shut down in April 2007.
``Kurihara Denen Railway Park'' was created to preserve the remnants of the Kurihara Denen Railway.

Railway Park was created in 2017 to preserve the vestiges of the Kurihara Denen Railway, which has become a popular means of transportation for citizens .

The former Wakayagi Station, which was the base of the Kurihara Denen Railway, and its premises were used, and the former Wakayagi Station has been restored to its original state. Trains, diesel cars, electric locomotives, diesel locomotives, etc. used by the Kurihara Denen Tetsudo Railway are preserved and exhibited at the former Wakayagi Station platform and locomotive shed. It is used for such things.

The park includes preservation facilities such as the former Wakayagi Station and rolling stock, as well as valuable in-house documents from the 100 years of operation, the Kuriden Museum (a paid facility) with a diorama that recreates the area along the line, and children's play equipment. It consists of the "Kuriden Lawn Square" with a

Particularly popular the experience of driving a KD95 , which is open to anyone over the age of 18 (limited dates and times). Additionally, during summer vacation, we offer an on-site diesel car driving experience for parents and children
also a rail bike a KD test ride where you can ride an actual vehicle (1.8 km round trip). It is crowded with tourists.
Kurihara Denen Railway Park Preserved Vehicle

M15 type train . This is a train that was used during the Kurihara Electric Railway era. Kurihara Electric Railway original. Static preservation.

KD95 type . This is a diesel train that was created after the Kurihara Denen Railway became a railway, and is original to the Kurihara Denen Railway, with a distinctive headlight modeled after the cantera of the Hosokura Mine. There are three preserved vehicles, two of which have been maintained and kept in working condition, and are used for ride events and driving experiences.

ED20 type . This is an electric locomotive (No. 203) used to transport cargo at the Hosokura Mine. One car is also preserved at Hosokura Mine Park-mae station (vehicle image provided by Kuriden Museum).
Other items preserved include a KD10 diesel car

Kuriden Museum <Information>
- Name: Kurihara National Railway Park Kuriden Museum
- Address: 17-1 Kawakitazuka none, Wakayanagi City, Kurihara City, Miyagi Prefecture
- Phone number: 0228-24-7961
- Opening hours: 10:00-17:00 (last entry 16:00)
- Official URL: Kuriden Museum
Google Map
"Hosokura Mine Park" where Kuriden's railway cars are also preserved
Hosokura Mine Park is a facility where you can learn about the history of the Hosokura Mine, which was opened in 1990 (Heisei 2) after the Hosokura Mine closed, and is located in a part of the old mine shaft. When it first opened, Kurihara Denen Tetsudo was in operation, and Hosokura Mine Park-mae Station was the terminal station.

After the line was discontinued, the station building and platform were preserved, and the electric locomotive ED20 type 202 and freight cars used during the Kurihara Electric Railway era are preserved statically on the premises.
Hosokura Mine Park is a 777m long tourist mine that can be exposed to geology that has been around for about 20 million years and provides information on the history of Hosokura Mines and modern industries.
It was reopened in 2016 (Heisei 28). It is also used as a place to learn about why the mine was built in Hosokura, the characteristics of the minerals that were actually mined, and the lifestyles around Hosokura at the time.
The temperature inside the mine is maintained at a constant temperature of around 14°C throughout the year, so it is also used as an old sake brewery, allowing you to learn about the environmental characteristics of the mine. A guide walk is also conducted using a geopark guide from April to October.
[Slider Park] is a 333m aerial walk on a pair lift, and a thrilling slide with a total length of 555m going down. From the observation deck, you can enjoy a panoramic view of the foothills of Mt. Kurikoma. When you visit Kurihara Denen Railway Park, be sure to stop by Hosokura Mine Park as well.
Hosokura Mine Park <Information>
- Name: Hosokura Mine Park
- Address: 2-3 Yanagisawa Nango, Uguisuzawa, Kurihara City, Miyagi Prefecture
- Phone number: 0228-55-3215
- Opening hours: March to November / 9:30-17:00 / December to February / 9:30-16:00
- Official URL: Hosokura Minepark